Wednesday, July 18, 2018

This is feedback I can trust.

Check out the graphics below for the key role played by trust in feedback situations.

This is feedback I can trust.



I first found this 2x2 diagram by John Spencer at Twitter:

positive feedback, negative trust: flattery
positive feedback, positive trust: affirmation
negative feedback, negative trust: hating
negative feedback, positive trust: critical feedback


And then in response I saw this more detailed diagram from Kim Scott:

care personally, no challenge:
ruinous empathy -> ignorance, no change

care personally, challenge directly: 
radical candor -> trust, profound change and growth

do not care personally, no challenge:
manipulative insincerity -> mistrust, no change

care personally, challenge directly:
obnoxious aggression -> defensiveness, little change

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've set the comments for Google accounts only (but no word verification), or you can contact me by email (laurakgibbs@gmail.com) or at Twitter (@OnlineCrsLady). Due to some totally annoying spam, I'm moderating right now.