Wednesday, July 18, 2018

In the dark I seek the light.

I used a lovely cartoon from Grant Snider (below) to inspire this cat, and Grant Snider explains at his website that he was "inspired by the essay "Notes on Failure" from the excellent book The Faith of a Writer by Joyce Carol Oates."

In the dark I seek the light.





The Specter of Failure
It haunts me while I work. You think you're a writer?
Follows me on walks. You're wasting your time.
Wakes me in the middle of the night. No one will read you.
I try to outrace it. You'll never escape me.
To hide from it.
Still it finds me. Your words are worthless.
I try to shut it out. I'm still here.
It multiplies. Give up! Give up! Give up! Give up!
So from now on, I'm embracing failure.
Stop! It's futile! Who cares? Why? A waste of paper.
Because without its dark abyss, how could I chase the luminous?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've set the comments for Google accounts only (but no word verification), or you can contact me by email (laurakgibbs@gmail.com) or at Twitter (@OnlineCrsLady). Due to some totally annoying spam, I'm moderating right now.