Monday, January 29, 2018

A mind stretched by new experiences can never go back to its old dimensions.

The quote is not by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. who was a Supreme Court Justice (although that's the usual attribution as you can see in the graphic below), but instead his father, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., who was a writer and poet. Here is what he wrote: "Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea or sensation, and never shrinks back to its former dimensions. After looking at the Alps, I felt that my mind had been stretched beyond the limits of its elasticity, and fitted so loosely on my old ideas of space that I had to spread these to fit it."

A mind stretched by new experiences
can never go back to its old dimensions.




I made this for the MemeGallery with cheezburger. Here's the graphic I saw at Twitter that inspired me:




No comments:

Post a Comment

I've set the comments for Google accounts only (but no word verification), or you can contact me by email (laurakgibbs@gmail.com) or at Twitter (@OnlineCrsLady). Due to some totally annoying spam, I'm moderating right now.